Monday, June 8, 2009

seperti kacang lupakan kulit



"wah, bru duk oversea 2 tahun dh x pndai ckp melayu dh"
"eleh, bru bpe tahun je duk lua dh feeling omputih abis" etc etc etc etc

those are the words that we used to hear whenever someone went overseas and suddenly forget their own culture
x reti ckp melayu after 2 years
melampau gile kot
haha

anyhow, what i want to say is,
sometimes, they dont even realized whats happening
sometimes, they just couldnt help it

i've realized this a few days ago
my dear friend Z's parents came to Wellington for a visit
so I went to meet her mom
and then I've realized that something's wrong when I'm shaking hands with her mom
hurm
I just know that something's missing but I couldnt remember what it was
I could noticed that her mom lookd a bit shocked ( or is it just my imagination?probably..) by my gesture
and then I realized
that I forgot to cium her tangan which simply put, a really rude gesture
haishhh

and then i forgot how to refer myself as? I? saya? S?
seriously,
after being here for just one and a half year,
I didnt know how to talk and behave in fornt of the elders anymore
most probably due to myself refusing to go back last year
hahaha
gila mngada kn?
bru stahun stgh dh lupa adab dgn org tua kn?
tp serius,ak x bmaksud pn
ak x sangka ak bole "lupa" dgn adab kita (oh ayatku)
ak pn tkjut cmne ak bley rase awkward sgt bile ckp dgn her mom
padahal pny la baek auntie tu
and that was nott the first time i met her pun
huhu

maybe sbb dh lame x ckp dgn org tua kot?
dlu my housemate pn ade la cm ala2 mak2 kite tp die bahsakn diri die "akak" so mcamanekah?
sgt tbiase treat sume org cm akak2
x payah cium tgn
huhuhu
(ye, akak2 kt cni x yah cium tgn. akak senior form 2 mase kamu form 1 kt asrama tu WAJIB dicium tangannya haha *wink wink* )


how rude have I become?
Auntie, I'm so sorry about that incident. I didnt mean to be rde to you.huu
(bila salam nk balik mmg ak make sure ak cium tgn die la. haha.)

I wonder what my Mom would say about this?
just something to ponder on

Quote of the day:
The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity
-Benjamin Franklin-
Today I am grateful for...
all the chocolates and fruits dedications from my friends. Thank u girls! Chocolate is a must duirng this stressful exam period. FREE chocolates! whee~~ Alhamdulillah, thank you Allah.


3 comments:

hafiz CHouJi said...

The reason we are sent to English-speaking country such as New Zealand is to let us immerse in the language and the culture, because immersion is one of the ways to learn a language from an authentic context.

But there always is this problem of a person gets too immersed in the new culture, almost forgetting her own culture. This is the backwash effect immersion has on a person.

But then again, I think we are all responsible for our own actions and what happened to us as the consequences.

Remember the "Si Tanggang Homecoming" poem by Muhammad Haji Salleh we learnt in school?

I think the poem in one way or another describes what we, who are studying overseas, feel and think. Especially the fifth stanza:

I’ve learnt
the ways of the rude
to hold reality in a new logic
debate with hard and loud facts
but I too am humble
respecting man and life.


Okay, okay. I'll stop now or I'll sound like a boring literature teacher. Ahaha~

One last thing: I think, this physical "journey" we are traversing should also be a journey of our soul. *wink*

Sha said...

omg Si Tanggang Homecoming!!
I totally forgot that we too have decent poets
I guess im too immersed in Shakespeare,Keats etc
hohoho

and yeah, this journey, no matter how long or short it is, will have an effect on us as human beings.
in one way or the other, we somehow tend to see things and think differently (if not more maturely?)
and i guess we should be grateful for that

hafiz CHouJi said...

Yes, indeed. In fact, every contact we made with other individuals make a difference and "cast a spell" to our very soul. Our every encounter with other living beings somewhat change something inside us, little by little, without us realising. That is the process of growing up, I suppose? Ahaha~

I think, we should look at other people and admire and try to learn their "greatness" but we should never forget whatever little "greatness" Allah has bestowed upon us. *wink*